Friday 4 December 2009

Stockholm

I have decided to include some things in the blog from before I came to Japan. Hopefully, it won’t contaminate the purpose of the blog too much. I would like it instead to show a different perspective of my life, which can be incorporated into the readings specifically on Japan. I suppose I will talk about Stockholm as the first entry about my life before Japan. I visited Stockholm this summer. Stockholm is one of the best places I have ever been. The people there are extremely friendly, and I think people dress quite well too. I have never felt short before in my life, but I was towered over by the Swedish people. Being surrounded by 6 feet tall women with stunning complexions and blonde hair conjures up a feeling of reverential respect mixed with wonder. This land seems to possess a degree of surrealism. On the first day of my trip, I visited a modern art museum, but to be honest, taking pictures outside the museum was much more exciting than the museum itself. On the following day, I went to the Vasa Museum, which holds a fully intact 17th century ship salvaged after sinking on her maiden voyage in 1628. Also, wondering through Gamla Stan brought about a feeling of past times. Gamla Stan is Old Town, and the Royal Palace is there. A small armory museum is located next to the Royal Palace, which is cool if you want to see swords and past kings’ wardrobes as well as some monstrous and terrifying stuffed horses. Also, you can never go wrong with a visit to a natural history museum. The museum is a bit out of the way, but I thought it was definitely worth it because I’m obsessed with animals. The final day was filled with a visit to Drottningholm, another palace of the Swedish Royalty. The grounds are massive, and it is really enjoyable to just walk around wondering through the different pathways. In summation, visit Stockholm because it is a spectacular place.

Stockholm is composed of many small islands.

Here is one of the many waterways surrounding Stockholm.

Gamla Stan

Natural History Musuem

Drottningholm Palace

Drottningholm Palace

Waterway and Bridge

Outside the Modern Art Museum

1 comment:

Joe Marshall said...

I agree...these photos are so nice!