Friday 27 November 2009

Comparison of the Marathon and Track and Field

The Marathon

Yesterday was Gonan’s marathon. In America, high schools do not hold a marathon. I think there would be a riot if students were told to run a marathon. I thought about why this may be, and I think it may have to do with some specific cultural differences. However, my analysis is completely speculative and probably way out in left field. First, I am going to rely on the stereotypical difference when comparing Asian culture to Western culture: collectivism vs. individualism. The collectivism of running an event together seems to enforce the bonds of school pride and strength. The ceremonies and procedures play almost as important role in the event as the actual run. However, in the US, I think running is based more on the individual level. If a student wants to run, they join track and field, and if they do not want to run, they join another club.

Additionally, the differences between Japanese and American work ethic play a role. I remember in high school we had to a run a mile during one P.E. class. Most of the girls in my class were so angry. Almost half barely ran at all and just started walking the majority of the mile. In American high schools, if a student does not want to do something, they either will not do it or put in as little effort as possible. However, in Japan, I think students wish for success of the group or entire school, so they try to do their best for the school. Americans try to do their best for themselves and work only at the goals they want to achieve.

Additionally, I do not think half of the people at my high school would have even been able to run a marathon due to weight and diet. Many high school students in America are extremely unhealthy. A lot of students do not participate in clubs either. Since they do not participate in clubs, they do not exercise, so they would not be healthy enough to even run a marathon. Basically, I just made a bunch of generalizations that are probably wrong, but I guess all I can do is give my opinion.

Track and Field Club

I am sorry, but I do not have any pictures on my computer of track and field club or anything else from high school. All these pictures are at my house in America, but I can maybe get my mom to send me some.

In American high schools, you can join many clubs. Just as an example, I’ll list all the clubs I did, but I was in a lot more clubs than most people. Most people only do between one and three clubs. I was a member of Performing Arts Club, History Club, Beta Club (Honors Society), Basketball, Students Against Drunk Driving, Youth for Community Betterment, Student Council, Track and Field, Spanish Club, and the Junior/Senior Play. Also, in America, choir, band, and yearbook are classes during school time. I took band class from age 12 to 16. I took choir class for two years in high school, and I was the yearbook editor during my senior year. The system for clubs is very different in America. Many of the culture clubs only meet once a month or every two weeks. However, sports clubs often meet every day of the week. I think it is good because you get to participate in many things. However, the downside is that you do not get to practice one thing as much. Sorry I am rambling on about stuff. I feel like I have been writing for ages, and I haven’t even started talking about track and field.

Ok....now onto track and field. I was a member of track and field from age 12 until age 18. Track season lasted from March until May. There was about a month of training, and then track meets started. We had between one and two track meets every week for about two months. After school, we would have a track meet either at our school or take a bus to a neighboring school. All the track events were ran on the same day, and girls and boys ran the same distances. These consisted of sprints, hurdles, relays, long distance, shot put, discus, and jumping. My events were the mile (1600 m) and two mile (3200 m). At the end of the season, we had a major competition. The first event was districts. If you place in the top two, you advanced to state and competed there. I was able to place in the top two my junior year, so I was able to go to state that year. Now, I am very sad because I am out of shape and slow. I want to be fast again. I hope basketball will help me get back into shape. I will fight hard!

1 comment:

Macwin said...

Your analysis of the difference between American and Japanese highschool events is interesting. "There would be a riot if they were told to run a marathon"! --- Very funny.
In my opinion Toyota's success is attributed to Japanese collectivism(which created so-called kaizen), and you may say it has been the source of Japan's success. I'm proud that no Gonan student walked during the marathon but they all ran to the end. Feeling this way is surely our culture.
Now I can understand how average American would feel about our marathon meet or other highschool events, and it's one of the big merits of this JET program to know the difference between the cultures. Thanks for the post. --- Matsuda