Monday 9 November 2009

Disney Sea

Disney Sea was quite different from how I imagined. When I was about eight, I visited Disney World in Florida with my mom, aunt, and cousin. I remember Disney feeling like a fantasy world, escapism from reality. I’ve always been obsessed with fireworks, and that night was what I remember as one of the best fireworks displays of my life. At the end of the day, I told my mom that it was the best day of my life. Disney is still great, but the awe stunning, jaw-dropping factor of an eight-year kid is gone.

The architecture at Disney Sea was one the best elements at the park. Each area was like a different world. You would walk from the Middle East into an underwater wonderland and then to science fiction mountainous terrain. The decorations were eye catching as well since it was Halloween time. The hour and half waits for each ride were no fun though. I ended up only going on two rides, a roller coaster and the Tower of Terror. I think the best part was just wandering around the park and watching people. I have always pictured Disney as stereotypical Americana. However, after visiting Disney Sea, my view of Disney was completely revolutionized. Being one the few Americans at Disney, I saw how the Japanese people have embraced Disney. Maybe even to the extent that Disney is a larger part of daily Japanese life than American. One thing that was quite different from American Disney was a few people asked to have their picture taken with me. I’m not really sure why, but I think they wanted a picture with an American at Disney. I would really like to go back to Disney Sea, but maybe not during a holiday season.

A girl who wanted her picture taken with me, me, and Julie, my best friend in Japan who teaches at Kambara.


Band member at the entrance of Disney Sea

Mickey

Me and a girl dressed up for Halloween

Mermaid Lagoon

No comments: