Friday 11 December 2009

My Grandparents

I have decided to write a blog about my grandparents because they are very important to me. My grandparents came from very humble roots. My grandfather was one of eight children, who were born into a very poor family. Early in my grandfather’s life, his father died due to complications caused from gas poisoning during military service. Unfortunately, this tragedy happened just towards the end of the Great Depression. This left his family in a desolate situation. The children were forced to work at a very young age and were still left with little food. This has caused a lasting effect on my grandfather. Now, he must eat lunch at exactly 12 every single day, or he becomes very irritable. At the age of 17, my grandfather joined the air force. He met my grandmother in Florida. She and her sister moved from Missouri to Florida to work for Southwestern Bell, a telephone company. Once married, my grandmother gave up working to become a full-time housewife. My grandparents moved all around the United States during my grandfather’s time of military service. My mother lived in places such as Alaska, New Mexico, and Arkansas. My grandparents, aunt, uncles, and mother were even in Alaska for the earthquake of 1964, which had a magnitude of 9.2. After my grandfather’s military service, they settled and took up a farm in my grandmother’s hometown, Advance, Missouri. This is where my mother went to high school and met my father, who she married at the age of 17. I think most people are proud of their ancestry, but I feel like I am especially. Loads of families had difficult times during the first half of the 1900’s, so this kind of story probably is not all that unusual for families in the United States. However, I think my family has done especially well considering what it was given. I feel very spoiled and unappreciative at times to live such a privileged life created by the fruits of labor born by my grandparents, mother, and father.

My Grandparents, Cecil and Verna Veale

Grain Bins close to my grandparents' house

Trailer at my Grandparents' Farm

Flowers at my Grandparents' Farm

Grain Bins close to my grandparents' house

My Grandparents' Farm

Cows at my Grandparents' Farm

My Grandparents' Farm

My Grandparents' Farm

No comments: