Thursday 27 January 2011

Concerts

The past week, I went to two concerts in Tokyo. The first one, I went to was Crystal Castles. Crystal Castles plays lo-fi music that sounds like it has been done on a home recording. The music is reminiscent of 80s arcade music. The band only consists of two members. One of which is a girl vocalist and the other is a man who produces the music. It's a Canadian band, so I wasn't surprised that most of the people who came were foreigners. Actually, I happened to accidently run into some friends who live in Tokyo at the concert. The stage presence was really dynamic.



The second concert I went to had three bands that played. The first band was Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti. They were a bit over the top. Sparkly silver costumes with unwashed hair seemed to be the theme. Their music quality isn't bad. Actually, I quite like listening to their CD in my house, but their stage presence had me a bit dismayed. They seemed more worried about being eccentric than composing music. The second band I watched was Deerhunter. The lead vocalist is Bradford Cox. His side project is Atlas Sound. I was lucky enough to see Atlas Sound in London. I enjoyed watching Deerhunter more though. Their music is beautiful. I really like all the distortion and pedals they use. The noise seems really soothing somehow. Also, I really like the lead singer because he suffers from Marfan Syndrome. This is a disease some members of my family have inherited, so I enjoy seeing someone who has suffered from such a serious disease achieve such great success. The final band was Blonde Redhead. I have already seen this band before, but I wasn't disappointed the second time. The lead singer is actually Japanese. Her name is Kazu Makino. I think she is beautiful. Her voice and her presence are so enchanting when she is on stage. Both times I saw her I wished that I could be her. Her presence seems surreal. Unfortunately, I had to leave halfway through her performance to make it to the last bus on time because I had school the next day. There were almost entirely Japanese people at this concert. I was really surprised because it had been almost entirely foreigners at the Crystal Castles concert. None of these bands are Japanese, so I wasn't sure why there was a discrepancy in the attendees nationalities.

Soon, I will be going to I'll be going to ATP's I'll be your Mirror. It's like a one day festival with Godspeed you Black Emperor headlining. Also, I would really really like to go to the Foals concert, but I want to find someone to go with first.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Googled up ATP and found this. I was there too! Looking forward to your blog post about it!

- Shaheen

Dianna said...

ATP was amazing wasn't it!!! I've written a blog post now if you wanna read it.

Anonymous said...

As have I! 3 actually - one for each of the bands so far!

Melt Banana, Dirty Three and Godspeed to go...

- Shaheen