Thursday 3 June 2010

Mom's Visit-Day 11-12

On day 11, my mother and I went to Himeji to see the castle. Currently, Himeji castle is undergoing construction, but you can still view a great deal of the castle. I think it is cool because it is a World Heritage Site of Japan. We had a small mishap though. I didn't know that you couldn't withdraw money from your Japanese bank account during Golden Week. I think this is really, really strange because people need to withdraw money the most during holidays. Actually, I think Japanese atms are strange in general. In America, you can withdraw cash at any time from your bank's atm and not get charged. In Japan, I don't understand why there are hours for an atm when it is a machine. It's really difficult to get money out during the designated times because most people are working during those times.
After visiting the castle, we went to Koko-en Garden, which is surprisingly really big. I expected it to be quite small for some reason, maybe because it is right next to the castle, but it actually has lots of parts to it. Also, I think it was constructed quite recently, so the design is modern yet made to look old to match the castle. If you go to the castle, a visit to the gardens is definitely necessary.
On my mom's final day, we went back to Tokyo to shop. I think seeing Shibuya for the first time is quite intense, but I think my mom enjoyed shopping. I guess this concludes my documentation of the trip. I just hope my mom can visit again next year!



No comments: