Tuesday 29 June 2010

School Festival - Sports Day

When I was an elementary school student in America, we had sports day. I always looked forward to it every year. There were such events as the potato sack race, the three legged race, and relays. However, once we entered junior high and high school, there was no longer a sports day. I wish this event had carried over into later school years because I think it is a good event to bond students and teachers together and also create lasting memories.

I was really excited to see sports day in Japan because I wanted to see how the events differed from America. There were quite a few different events such as a mock cavalry battle and events involving wooden poles. Also, at midday, there was a dance contest between the two teams. Actually, I didn't really understand how the two teams were made. In America, I think the competition was between grades or homerooms. I can't remember, but in Japan, there were two teams composed of students from all three grades. I hope next year's sports day is just as exciting.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spoke to your Mom at church, she tells me you are helping with the basketball team. That's wonderful! Keep up the good work and teach those youngsters how to play like a "Comet". Best of luck
Sincerely,
Angie Lindsey