Wednesday 11 January 2012

Gili Air and Kuta Beach

We then traveled to Gili Air which is a really small island next to Lombok. There are three island next to each other but we just visited Gili Air. The island is so small that you can walk around it in an hour and a half and there is no cars or buses on the island, everyone travel by foot, bike or horse and cart.



My friend and I met another ALT when we arrived.

On the first day we went scuba diving which amazing! I have wanted to go diving for many years but this was the first time I did it. I was a little nervous when we practiced in the pool but when we went to the sea I loved it. The water was a little cloudy but it was great and we got to see lots of fish. My favourite was the blue starfish, I didn’t even know they existed!


The next day we decided to have a relaxing day on the beach because it was so sunny. It was nice to just unwind and read my book, then we went for dinner in the evening.



On the third day I went snorkeling which was brilliant. The corals and the sea life are beautiful on Gili Air and there is so much of it. Later, we walked around the island and visited the village there the watch the sunset for the last time.



The next morning we went to Kuta in Bali for New Year’s Eve. We wanted to go to Kuta beach for the New Year celebrations. After dinner we went to the beach which was packed with people and everyone had fireworks. I have never seen so many fireworks and there was any organisation, people just let them off wherever they felt like it. It was crazy! We got to the beach about 10pm and there was a continuious stream of fireworks until 1am. The video below shows the fireworks at 12am. It was definitely the best New Year.





No comments: