Wednesday 4 January 2012

Christmas and New Year

I wanted to write about Christmas because it is my favourite time of year and I think it is a very big cultural difference between Japan and Ireland.

One of my favourite things about Christmas is the tree, putting up the Christmas tree is a marking point to begin Christmas celebration and usually happens the first week of December.

In Manchester (and in most big cities) they have a Christmas market or the German Market. At this market they usually sell Christmas presents, winter clothes and accessories as well as hot drinks like mulled wine. They usually sell different types of German sausages that are cooked on a huge fire and everything is decorated with lights.



Every family has their own Christmas morning tradition and I think its very interesting to hear what people like to do on Christmas morning. In my house I always wake up very early and make my brothers get up with me to open presents. They always complain but we have fun and it makes Christmas morning exciting. The house usually smells lovely as my mother usually has the turkey cooking in the oven already. We open our presents together and then brave the snowy roads to go to mass (catholic church).

I get to see my extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents) at the chapel and afterwards we go to my grandparents house for a breakfast of tea and toast.


Christmas dinner is the best meal of the year! My mother usually invites a lot of my relatives to have dinner with us so we all squeeze around the table and have a lot of fun pulling crackers and eating dinner. We eat turkey, ham, stuffing, vegetables, potatoes and pigs in blankets (small sausages wrapped in bacon) with lots of gravy. Makes me very hungry just talking about it! Everyone is always too full after dinner so we watch a Christmas movie and relax.


My tree in Japan...


This is year is my first year not being at home for Christmas, it is very strange! I have a tree in my house though and my family have sent me a lot of presents so it feels a little better. I am also going away for Christmas break so I won’t feel too sad on Christmas morning not being with my family.


In class, some of my first years made Christmas cards and we sent them to the students in Hawaii that they will visit next year.


Christmas isn’t really celebrated as much here in Japan but New Year is a very big celebration and it sounds similar to Christmas as it is spent with family. I would love to hear what you are did for New Year? What did you like to eat? Who did you spending it with?

No comments: