Wednesday 22 September 2010

Visit to America

This summer, I went home to America for about 2 and 1/2 weeks. When I first arrived home, I went to St. Joseph, Missouri for a family reunion on my mom's side of the family. Every three years, we have a family reunion during the summer. This was the main reason that I returned home, so that I could see the family members, which I hadn't seen for three years. Our family members come from all over the United States and even Canada, so I think it is an amazing thing that everyone can come together.

This is a picture of me, my baby cousin, and my great uncle, Ralph. If you look closely, you can see my grandfather in a blue shirt in the background. At every reunion, awards are handed out. I got the award for traveling the farthest, my baby cousin got the award for being the youngest, and my great uncle got the award for being the oldest.


I thought these were really cool. Wind power is becoming very popular in America. There were at least 100 windmills in this area.



Also, in America, we do something similar to Obon. When family members get together, they often visit relatives' grave sites. This is what we did at the reunion. My mother's maiden name is Veale, so we visited some graveyards with Veale relatives.

This is the grave of my great great grandfather and grandmother.
Henry Clay Veale 1850-1918 and Eliza Jane (Easley) Veale 1850-1931


This is the grave of my 3rd great grandfather. He moved with his family from Virginia to Missouri prior to the Civil War.
Elam Clay Veale 1805-1872

No comments: