Wednesday 22 September 2010

South Dakota - Sioux Falls, Corn Palace, Badlands

After going to the family reunion, my father, my mother, and I took a road trip to South Dakota. It was my first time going, so I was really excited. I absolutely love road trips.

The first place we stopped was Sioux Falls. This was a key area for the Native Americans. Unfortunately, we were unable to go really close to the falls because there had been lots of flooding. They had to let sewage into the Big Sioux River, so the water was contaminated.


The next place we stopped was the Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota. The first Corn Palace was built in 1892. The entire building is covered with corn. The corn is made into art murals. I think it's absolutely crazy the things they can make with just corn.
These bugs were everywhere at the corn palace. I guess they were attracted to the corn.
The Corn Palace - What you see is all corn.


After going to the Corn Palace, we made our way to the Badlands. These are like crazy land formations made from the eroding of rock. This was my favorite place on the trip. Everything was so desolate. It was so cool to see.



My dad at the Badlands. We went on this really cool trail. You had to climb up this really steep hill. The gravel slides really bad too. We talked to a park ranger, and apparently, when it rains people aren't able to come down from the hill because the ground turns into almost an oil-like substance.

This is at the top of the hill we climbed.


This is a Big Horned Sheep. Park rangers introduced them to the Badlands. All of them are fitted with collars, so they can be tracked.

No comments: