Friday 5 October 2012

Katazome

 Some of you may know that for my degree I studied textiles and fashion. Due to this interest, one of my aims when coming to Japan was to try to learn different Japanese textile techniques. I soon realised that my limited Japanese language would make any studying difficult. However, I found an English speaker who has been living in Japan for over twenty years producing textiles. Through him, I have been studying two traditional ways of dying in Japan, Katazome (型染め) and Shibori (絞り染め). Last weekend I spent the whole day dying and it was brilliant! Even though I have enjoyed making Shibori, I much prefer Katazome so I want to show you my Katazome work. (Pictures are one iPhone quality, sorry).
 Katazome is the process of dying fabric by using a resistant glue through a stencil, creating a pattern. Usually natural dyes are used and most commonly Indigo dye is used. Stencils are cut by hand from special paper which is made from many layers of thin washi, which are bonded with a glue extracted from persimmon. The paper is smoked for a number of days and this makes the strong flexible paper that can be used repeatedly. The art of paper cutting is called Katagami (型紙).
 Since coming to Japan I have become interested in Kamon (家紋) which are family crests. In the past the crest was dyed into clothing to show which family you belonged to. I think I am drawn to this part of Japanese culture because crests are an important part of Irish culture. Sometimes in Ireland, crests are given as wedding gifts when two families join. I have been using Kamon designs to influence my Katazome, shown above.
 One thing I love about Katazome is that the dying process and the indigo colour works very well with a repeat pattern so I have been experimenting with repeats too. Now I just need to decide what to make with my samples, so much work goes into cutting and dying that they seem so precious. Therefore I want to make something important but long lasting.
I want to continue experimenting with different textile techniques and hope to develop my skills in this ancient traditional technique. Katazome has roots in many different areas of Japan and each has a unique style. I hope I can study as many of these as possible while I am living here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it!