Friday 11 March 2011

Osamu Dazai

Recently, once a week, my friend and I meet and study Japanese. We switch locations between Numazu and Gotemba. When we study in Gotemba, we have been going to a place called "Zafe Cafe". Last night, I got hot chocolate. It had a super cute bunny on it, and my friend's had a panda.
I was tired of studying Japanese yesterday, so I started reading "The Setting Sun" by Osamu Dazai. I finished it today. I think it's sad because few Japanese authors are popular in the west. Actually, I found out about Dazai because one of my students wrote about him in an essay. After I read her essay, I decided to read one of his books, so I read "No Longer Human". After reading this and "The Setting Sun", he has definitely made it into my list of favorite authors. Usually, I don't like to read more than one book by the same author because I grow tired of their writing style. However, with his books, I just want to read more of them.
Actually, I watched the movie, "Pandora's Box", which is a movie based on Dazai's book. I think I will read this next. I thought the movie was really, really good too, so I would recommend watching it as well.

No comments: