Tuesday 13 October 2009

23 Kilometer Hike

For Sports Day in Japan, I decided to do a hike. Another ALT is training for the 100 km Oxfam hike in April. During this 100 km hike, you walk the trail shown in the picture below in 48 hours. I am considering doing it, but I will need lots of training. The walk I did on Monday was from point CP7 Fujimi Center to the finish Tokyo YMCA Yamanakako Center. Sunday night, we had a pre-walk dinner at a restaurant in Numazu called Bluewater. The restaurant is absolutely amazing, and the view from the restaurant is beautiful. The next morning, I took a train to Suruga-Oyama, where the hike began at 9. The actual trail was about 21 kilometers up and down mountains. There really wasn't a proper trail, and I think I would have gotten lost if I hadn't been with other people. It was really hard but very rewarding. Also, I got to meet a lot of other ALTs in the prefecture. We finished around 5:30 or 6 and got to see the sun setting over Lake Yamanaka. I hope that I can go back to Lake Yamanaka sometime soon because it is beautiful. After this, I walked about another 2 kilometers to the bus stop, so in total, the walk was around 23 kilometers. In November, another hike is planned for the Hakone section of the trail. I hope that I can join this hike too.




The view of Numazu from Bluewater


Lake Yamanaka










No comments: