Friday 9 January 2009

ゆき!

First snow of the year today in Gotemba! This makes me very happy. I love the snow. 

I grew up in the northeast United States, so I'm used to snow in the winter. (The photo is a picture of snow at home.) When I was in high school we usually had a "Snow Day" two or three times a year. This was when it snowed enough to cancel school. On a Snow Day I would wake up and get a shovel to move the snow from the driveway. (That's where my mother and father put their cars.)  My mother, father and I would move all the snow so they could move their cars and go to work. Then I'd make some cocoa and stay home all day! Sometimes there would be so much snow that my mother and father would stay home too. When there was a lot of snow, I would walk to a hill near my house and go sledding. That was a lot of fun. 

I've been told that it almost never snows in Numazu. That's so interesting! To me, Gotemba and Numazu seem very close. I expect them to have similar weather. Gotemba is higher up though and close to Mount Fuji. That must be why the weather is different. 

No comments: