Wednesday 13 March 2013

A Weekend in the Izu

At the weekend myself and some other English teachers were invited by the Izu City Association for Friendship Relations to go to Shuzenji. They wanted us to experience Japanese culture by taking part in a Taiko Drum workshop and Onigiri making. It was a fantastic day and I'd like to thank everyone who organised the event. 
Everyone who took part in the workshop
Anna who helped organise the event with the boys from the Taiko group
 We were taught Taiko by students of the Taiko club at Izu Sogo High School. They were all brilliant teachers and we all had lots of fun learning from them. They performed for us a few times and I was really impressed. They were so energetic and cheerful in their performance that it was inspiring.
My friend and I with our sensei's
 Then we were taught how to make onigiri which was interesting because I have never been able to make perfectly shaped onigiri before. I was quite proud of my final one and it was tasty! We had a choice of fillings, which were Bonito (fish flakes), Umeboshi (sour plum) or Spinach Gomaae (sesame seed). My favourite was the Bonito.
 Afterwards, some friends and I went to Kawazu to see the cherry blossoms. The blossoms flower here a lot earlier than anywhere else in Shizuoka and there are so many that there is a festival. The blossoms were very pretty and the trees lined the river for about 2.5km. The weather was very hot and it felt like Spring was finally here!
 My friends and I enjoying the Spring weather.
 All the food was delicious and nearly everything was Sakura flavoured. I thought that the Sakura ice-cream was too sweet but the mochi was delightful. There were three types, plain, green tea and sakura. (below)
Although the strawberry filled one was definitely the best!
I was a great first cherry blossoms viewing festival but I want to see many more. I think it might be my favourite Japanese festival, but really there are so many it's impossible to choose.
Blossoms at night

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Catherine, My name is Sono. I'm Japanese.Just wanted to say hello.I found your blog when I was surfing on internet and I loved it.

I enjoy your photos and blog! Especially I miss Japan because I live far from Japan now. I enjoy country where I currentlyt live but your blog makes me miss things in Japan!!

Keep up the good work!

Take care, Sono
www.fbcusa.com

Dianna said...

Hello Sono,
Thanks very much! I'm so happy to hear that I can give you a reminder of Japan. It is sometimes difficult living away from home. Where are you living?

Take care,
Catherine