Friday 15 February 2013

Soba Making with HR16

Yesterday I joined HR16 for a soba making class with Mr. Katsumata. Soba is a thin Japanese noodle that is made from buckwheat. I have always wanted to learn how to make soba and was really excited when Mr. Katsumata offered to teach me.  Earlier in the day he taught Mrs. Sekimoto and I and it was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. When making soba you have to kneed the dough four hundred times and the dough isn't soft like bread dough so it takes a lot of effort. Afterwards the dough is flatten and rolled out, which also takes a lot of effort because it has to be rolled in four different directions to make it into a square. When it is thin enough the flat dough is folded in half, then it is folded from right to left and again from left to right, making a rectangle. Now it is ready to be cut into very thin noodles. Later, I join HR16 for their class and some soba tasting, it was delicious!
 
Some of the class learning how to roll the dough.
 Two of the girls trying their best to keep the noodles thin enough.
The knife looked a little scary but it was fun to use.
Fuka and I were definitely better at cutting udon than soba! Mr. Katsumata cut the perfect noodles, below.
 Ours were not as good!

No comments: