Wednesday 5 October 2011

Hello, I'm the new ALT.

Hello everyone, my name is Catherine and I am the new ALT. First, I want to say thank-you to Michelle for all here help and advice when I was moving to Japan. Secondly, I want to thank all the students and staff at Gotemba Minami High School for being so welcoming and making my move to Gotemba very easy.

Now let me introduce myself,
I am Catherine Quinn and I come from a small village in Ireland called Rasharkin in County Antrim. I studied in Manchester, England and I had been living there for the past six years. I studied Textile Design for Fashion and before I came to Japan I was working as a designer in Manchester. There are five members in my family and I have two younger brothers. This is a picture of us all at my leaving party in Ireland.


There is one other member in our family, our dog Teagan. He is a Chocolate Brown Labrador.

I am very excited to be living in Japan and Gotemba is such a beautiful place to live, I feel very lucky to be here. I love to travel and learn about new cultures and this is the main reason that I wanted to live in Japan. I am also interested in Japanese fashion and traditional dress; one of my main aims for my time here is to learn how to make a Kimono! I am also trying to learn Japanese and I'm attending classes in Mishima.

In my free time I like to go walking and I love to sew, I usually make some of my own clothes. I am interested in Photography and usually take pictures when I go walking. This is the River Bann which is near my house, my mum and I usually go for walks here together.


I will now keep a weekly blog on what is happening at the school and in my live in Japan. I hope to discuss the differences and similarities between life in Ireland and life in Japan. If you have any questions for me please message me, I am very excited to meet you all so please talk to me whenever you like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was just wondering about the Japanese class that you're taking in Mishima. Is it a language school or volunteer classes?? I attended a few of the weekend classes at the Gotemba city center but it wasn't very helpful so I'm trying to find a nice language school in the area. Thank you :)

Dianna said...

Sorry for the delay in replying, it was my friend who organised this so I wasn't sure and wanted to check. She said that she organised it through Mishima City Council. It is a language tutor, normally they are individual but two of my friends and I asked to do it together. My friend had an application form already though, if you would like I can try and send you a copy?