Tuesday 15 February 2011

Japanese Language Proficiency Test N4 and Ashita no Joe

Since coming to Japan, I've been trying to learn Japanese. When I first came, I didn't know any Japanese at all. I was so lost. The first 6 months, I didn't know how to begin studying. I tried a little bit of everything, but I felt like I had no clue what was going on. Then in November 2009, I got my first JET Programme Language Course book. I felt like I had a guide then. It was broken down by days, and you had to submit a test at the end of each month. My friend from Kamabara was also doing the books. We motivated each other to keep going because we didn't want to be the first one to quit. We were finally learning Japanese, but then my friend decided she wasn't going to recontract and that she was going to return to America in August. I felt a little lost trying to study alone, but then, I told myself that I had to keep going. I wanted to be able to communicate with the people around me. I tried to make a lot of Japanese friends, and practice Japanese by sending them lots of emails. I think this helped a lot. However, in May 2010, my JET beginner's language course finished. Then, I started to lose a little of my motivation. This is when I heard about the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. There are currently 5 levels. The lowest level is N5 and the highest level is N1. I decided that I would try to take level N4, so I began to study a lot. I found a Japanese teacher, who gives me lessons one day a week for 2 hours. It's a great chance for me to practice speaking Japanese. In December 2010, I went to take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test N4 in Tokyo. It was so hard. I especially thought the listening and grammar was hard. The kanji and vocabulary was easy for me though. I was certain that I didn't pass. I had to wait 2 and 1/2 months for the test results. I don't know why it takes so long. In this time, I felt a little disenchanted. I felt like I studied, but I wasn't learning anything. At this time, my intermediate JET Programme Language Course books arrived. I began to do them half-heartedly. Then, my test score arrived this week. I somehow managed to pass, but just barely. My listening score was really bad. I've decided I must study harder now to improve my listening. I want to take the N3 test in July. I've began to watch more Japanese dramas. Also, I've decided I'm going to go to the cinema to watch Japanese movies.

This weekend, I went to watch Ashita no Joe. Last year, an English club student told me that this movie was coming out in February because we both like Yamapi. I have wanted to watch this movie ever since she told me. I really enjoyed watching the movie. Even though I couldn't understand everything, I could understand what was happening. I hope that someday I can rewatch this movie and understand everything that is being said.

No comments: