Wednesday 17 December 2008

Christmas is Coming!

This week in OC class we're doing a lesson with a Christmas theme. We'll listen to songs and write some Christmas cards. The English Club at school helped to decorate the classroom so it looks very festive. We even have a little Christmas tree!

Thinking about Christmas, I'm realizing that many of the important symbols or people associated with Western/European holidays are magic in some way. Santa Claus magically brings presents to everyone in the world on Christmas Eve. The easter bunny magically leaves eggs and easter baskets (filled with treats). On Three Kings Day, the three wise men bring gifts to children in the night. 

Are there any holidays like this in Japan? Do any Japanese holidays involve magical creatures that bring gifts or food? I'm very curious. I'm still learning about Japanese culture and I'd like to learn more about this. What's your favorite holiday? What do you do to celebrate? 

1 comment:

Karen Billing said...

Wow- I can't believe I came across your blog. I was the 1st exchange student to Gotemba Minami in 1981! You might ask if they remember "Karen Crye". I'm now 45 yrs old, but clearly remember my year there! My email is:
homespunamericana@hotmail.com if you wish to get in touch.